Dunfermline 1-5 Inverness CT- Match Report

Iain Vigurs hits hat-trick as Inverness storm to win

A hat-trick from Iain Vigurs helped Inverness thump Dunfermline 5-1 and move joint-top of Betfred Cup Group C.

Vigurs gave the visitors the lead after a quarter-hour and even though Andy Geggan pegged them back, Vigurs' second put them ahead at the break.

Billy King extended Caley Thistle's lead in the second half and Vigurs completed his hat-trick with a well-placed header.

Carl Tremarco's late fifth put the icing on the cake for a potent Caley Jags side.

Caley Thistle led with 16 minutes on the clock

Ben Richards-Everton gave goalkeeper David Hutton a pass he did not want and he sent his hurried clearance straight to Vigurs' feet

With Hutton well out of goal, the former Motherwell man calmly found the bottom right-hand corner.

Allan Johnston's side were behind for all of 12 minutes as Kallum Higginbotham delivered a cross from the right that was on the money for Geggan to power a header in at the back post.

After some rough treatment for Jake Mulraney afforded Inverness a chance from a set-piece, Vigurs delivered a masterpiece by beating the wall and goalkeeper as the ball went in via the crossbar.

Dunfermline started the second half with a point to prove, spurred on at what they believed was the injustice of several decisions going against them in the first period

That would have been forgotten had Michael Moffat done more with his effort than steer it straight into Mackay's arms.

He would be made to pay by an incisive yet patient Caley Thistle move, finishing with King letting fly from an acute angle and seeing his shot deflect off Ryan Williamson before finding the top corner.

Vigurs rounded off his treble by beating two defenders in the air to meet King's cross with 25 minutes to go, putting Inverness in cruise control.

With five minutes to go Vigurs was rightly given his rest and Tremarco sealed the win, heading in after Greg Tansey's free-kick came back off the post.

Source : PA

Source: PA